What’s the big deal with breakfast? The truth is- a healthy breakfast jump-starts your day and benefits your overall health. A good breakfast helps:
- stabilize your blood sugar levels
- refuel your body
- maintain body weight by staving off hunger and
- avoid unhealthy snacking in the morning
Research has even shown that those who eat breakfast tend to make better choices throughout the day. That said, the Nutrition Journal also stated that a large breakfast can lead to higher total daily calorie intake.
Bottom line: Don’t skip breakfast and avoid the bacon/egg/cheese bagel from the corner cart. The ideal breakfast is somewhere in between!
If you were looking for a fast, healthy, and dare I say, cool way to start your morning, try my Breakfast Pop.
~60 calories, 2 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber
Servings: 10 pops (or… 3.5 cups of a delicious smoothie)
- * 2 cups of frozen blackberries, thawed (or any kind of berries!)
- * 1 cup of fat-free unsweetened Greek yogurt
- * 4 TBS of Agave nectar
- * 1 TBS of chia or flax seeds
- * 1/2 cup of water or as needed
Mix all ingredients in blender. Ensure it adds up to ~3.5 cups. Blend. Add to pop maker and freeze. Enjoy on a hot summer morning!
Needless to say, this is a great way to increase fruit intake with kids!
Pictured: Gabriela & Santiago Campos, my niece and nephew.